Oct 7, 2011

Looking for support.

You know I think we all have a tendency to get wrapped up in our own lives and our own problems but the thing I often remind myself off is there are people who are in infinitely worse shape than I am and I should count my blessings.

Case in point, a few years back one of my dear friends, Monica succumbed to a brain tumor (click through to read what I had to say) and it was just a tragic thing to bear witness to for the loss of a special person and also the impact it had on her loved ones.

In an odd bit of coincidence she was not the only person I know who struggled with a brain tumor. An old friend’s wife also struggled with the very same thing and although she managed to beat it, it wasn’t without a terrific fight on her part and indeed she is very lucky to have won the battle. You can read about her experiences at her blog: Extraordinary Life of an Ordinary Woman

But what I wanted to talk about was something she has taken upon herself to do, in an effort to raise awareness about the issue, Heidi has embarked on a walk from her home in Long Island to the hospital in Boston where she was treated. Along the way she will be speaking at various schools and of course if you’re on her route I’m sure she would welcome the company. She is a powerfully strong person and in many ways I think of her as very similar in temperament and mien as was dear, departed Monica.





Heidi has also formed a charity: www.brain-matters.org

I wanted to at least try and help and get the word out in a show of support.

No comments: